Steamfitting Field Operations Manager
Areas Supervised: Field crews and foreman
Reports To: Vice President – Operations
Status: Full Time
Assumes overall responsibility for quality, safety and productivity of the General Heating and Air Conditioning steamfitting foreman and field crews.
- Attend project kick-off meetings with Project Managers and supporting departments to help plan and organize the project.
- Reviews labor requirements and labor budgets for new jobs and assists Project Manager and labor manager assign foreman and crews for each project.
- Assists in preparing the 2 – 4 week manpower schedules.
- Plans the overall project schedule with the foreman in terms of labor, materials, and equipment deliveries
- Reviews the project productivity and labor reports with the PM and Foreman
- Arranges crane and other rental equipment to place boilers, chillers, air handling units, pumps, etc. with foreman and shipping department.
- Works with manager of materials, tools and equipment to ensure each project has appropriate tools and equipment to execute work in field efficiently. Makes sure fabricated materials and other supplies/materials flow smoothly and efficiently to each job site.
- Assists in reviewing foreman, journeyman, apprentice and pre-apprentice to assure labor talent matches the complexity of the project.
- Focus on continuing to improve our installation means and methods with safety, quality and productivity in mind.
- Develop foreman standards and train the foreman to those standards.
- Identify the journeymen that are trained and ready to become a General Heating foreman.
- Visits job sites on a weekly basis, assists foreman in resolving on site problems and attends job site meetings when necessary.
- Assists Project Managers with their specific construction-related issues.
- Conducts periodic meetings with foremen to discuss ways to improve communication and productivity.
- Investigates and studies new processes including tools and equipment to enhance overall job productivity.
- Attendance at departmental and safety meeting is required.
- Performs additional assignment as requested by management. May serve on corporate and departmental committees as requested.
- Champions, monitors and enforces company safety policies with shop and field crews. Assists safety department in implementing training for field and shop personnel for the entire company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ten + years of mechanical construction experience plus five years supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of HVAC construction (technology, equipment, methods, etc.).
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent communication, organizational, supervisory and planning skills.
Description of physical working environment:
- Primarily requires being on the construction site.
- Requires working in all weather situations and involves extensive driving.
- Works in normal office environment and makes frequent job site visits. When in the office, regularly works from a sitting position with a computer. Repetitive typing and computer use required. Regular bending, twisting, and light lifting is common.
- Works on field construction site in all kinds of weather to survey site conditions and resolve coordination issues with the trades.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and steps on site is required.