Holiday Home Safety
The holidays are a busy time of year that are a lot of fun, and it is easy to make safety part of the holiday routine. By doing so, you can help ensure that everyone has a safe and fun time for the holidays.
- Remember to keep a space heater (if you have one) at least three feet away from anything flammable, such as the Christmas tree, curtains, other decorations, and more. This is a tip to follow throughout the winter.
- If you have guests, share your family’s fire escape plan with them. If you don’t have a family fire escape plan, take the time to create one for you and your family, as this is a large step toward a safer home.
- As you get cooking your holiday meal, be sure to keep children away from the hot stove and oven, hot pans, and other heated areas. Always use hot pads for yourself, and turn the pot handles inward so they are out of reach and cannot accidentally be knocked over.
- On the topic of cooking, it’s best to wear a short-sleeved shirt or roll up your sleeves.
- Never leave your cooking unattended, even if you are just upstairs or across the way.