Holiday Home Safety
- Remember to keep a space heater (if you have one) at least three feet away from anything flammable, such as the Christmas tree, curtains, other decorations. This is a tip to follow throughout the winter as well
- If you have guests, share your family’s fire escape plan with them. If you don’t have a family fire escape plan, take the time to create one for you and your family, as this is a large step toward a safer home
- As you get cooking your holiday meal, be sure to keep children away from the hot stove and oven, hot pans, and other heated areas. Always use hot pads for yourself, and turn the pot handles inward so they are out of reach and cannot accidentally be knocked over
- On the topic of cooking, it is best to wear a short-sleeved shirt or roll up your sleeves
- Never leave your cooking unattended, even if you are just upstairs or across the way
- Christmas Day is one of several days in the year where the most house fires related to cooking occur; work to not add to this statistic
Did you like this article? Check back weekly for more tips and tricks about your home.