It’s summer, and heading to the pool or beach is the most popular activity. However, it is important to take the safe approach to water and swimming safety when going to either of these locations.
Use these tips to help stay safe when you and the kids go swimming.
- Use the buddy system! Don’t go swimming alone at the pool, beach, etc. Make sure there are other people around to be safest.
- Small children and non-swimmers should not go around water without supervision to best keep these individuals safest.
- Know your swimming ability. Know where you are capable of swimming to, and don’t swim past that point. In a lake or freshwater source, be sure you know where the current changes, where the drop off points are, etc. This is crucial!
- If you aren’t the strongest swimmer and want to head in the water, swim with a life jacket on. It may not be the most fashionable outfit, but being safe is worth it.
- Stay hydrated. You may not feel thirsty, but it is important to drink enough water to stay hydrated.
- Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine as these can dehydrate you.